A duplex renovation recently completed for a nice couple in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn. The Designer on this Project was Agnese Purvinska, with whom we did the Dean Street Project.
Gowanus, Brooklyn Townhouse
This Project is a commercial building with a rental apartment on 3rd Avenue in Gowanus, Brooklyn. We were responsible for all new plumbing, electrical, flooring, rough carpentry (framing), finish carpentry (wallboard, doors/trim), plastering/painting and detailing. We teamed up with a Masonry contractor who was responsible for the structural, concrete and exterior work.
Dean Street, Brooklyn
This Project included a partial gut of the main floor of a duplex apartment near Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn. The focus was on the spectacularly designed bathroom and the kitchen, with new doors, trim, lighting, skim-coated and painted surfaces throughout. Excellent Design work by Agnese Purvinska (of Aggie Designs) and a courageous client made this all possible. Very happy with the results!
The Perry Street Project included gutting the entire 1,100 sq ft townhouse parlor floor apartment, relocating the kitchen and bathrooms, all new surfaces and many high quality treatments. New millwork pervaded this Project with many built-ins in each room, and the central kitchen/powder room/ closet 'box' made with white oak panels housing the new hvac system. The Architect on this Project was Michael Neal, R.A.
Cooper Union, Chairman's Lounge Kitchen
The Chairman’s Lounge in the new Cooper Union building (2009) presented many challenges, especially the five week job completion schedule we were given (not including Millwork lead time). Making the raw space straight, plum and level enough to accept such a tightly designed cabinet system and stainless steel security gates sliding in narrow plaster slots - very challenging. Happy with the results and how well this kitchen has held up over years now of commercial service. This lounge is a main hang-out area for the students in the new building.
Not the easiest location to work in the city, at 37th and Lexington, nor so easy to remove over 26,000 lbs of old plaster walls. But we managed it, and with the slight shifting of a few walls and touching every surface in the pre-war apartment, we created a totally modern space. It’s amazing what adding new corner beads and properly skim-coating every surface can do to appearances, making everything look better than brand new. Kitchen is by Leicht, everything else by us. If you’re interested in Process you might like to check this Project out on my Facebook page “in-progress” albums (see Link to fb on the home page).
West 10th Street
A writer’s sanctuary. The client wanted her final apartment to be an author’s paradise. A partial gut and conversion of a one bedroom into a large studio apartment, with found objects as lighting and specialty street-side cabinets or vanity. But the best is all the old church panelling we wrapped the walls with - an old entry archway becomes the bedroom niche, or pocket doors become a bathroom sliding door and armoire side panel. Find the green fabric wrapped desk area, one of my favorite spots in the city. This is still my favorite renovation Project to date. Designed by Randy Polumbo, a well known sculptor and building in NYC.
West 83 Street
This was a tricky Project for being on a crowded street and the apartment being a four story walk-up in a coop townhouse with a lot of sketchy existing work inside. We gutted the two bathrooms and the existing loft structure and refurbished everything, bringing it all up to code, changed electrical and lighting, new plumbing, etc. We didn’t replace the kitchen and only refinished the floors (most Projects we do it all). The pocket door for one of the bathrooms is when I first used earth magnets as non-privacy, pocket-door-affordable latch hardware (pocket door hardware tends to be costly).
A partial gut, just the kitchen and bathroom, in this pre-war building on 20th Street and 7th Avenue. New kitchen and bathroom, new trim and skim-coating throughout. A good standard Project with one of the last Ikea kitchens we installed (we only do custom now). Eight years later and just a little caulking and some painting is all it needs.